11/08/08

Today I am going to make a start on a new portrait. It will be of the daughter of a violin-playing friend, the identity of whom must remain secret as the painting is to be a present and a surprise for the violinist's father. I have been given carte blanche to do it as I please, whatever size I like, as it will be hung in a large converted warehouse somewhere in London's Docklands, and therefore I imagine on large white walls. Because the girl (V.) is twelve years old I am drawn to the idea of representing her in a Renaissance manner -- like Leonardo's "Lady with an Ermine" (left) perhaps. Or the Mona Lisa, as she does resemble her in fact. We'll see. One could equally paint her in the style of a Rineke Dijkstra photograph. The first thing to do is to prepare my shed/studio for action and then the canvas. I have a beautiful fine linen one measuring 32"x32", therefore larger than "Lady" which is 54.8cm x 40.3cm, but nothing like as big as the Dijkstra prints I've seen in the flesh.
I'll make some preliminary drawings from the set of photographs I took some months ago too while the undercoat dries...
Action.

3 comments:

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Prior said...

Sounds absolutely gorgeous and I cant wait to hear more about it. I am entranced by your portrait of Sarah- it really captures her

ruth said...

well hello again!!!!

here we are in the south of france, playing andpainting and happy to see you pop up in the blogosphere! do send news!